These festive ice cream sandwiches are perfect for a Christmas party—or as a new spin on milk & cookies for Santa. Thank you to Katie, the mom and recipe creator behind Witten Kitchen, for sharing!
The Night Before Christmas Cookie Sandwich
- Cookies: 3 cups AP flour + more for dusting
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 ½ stick of unsalted butter (12 Tbsp.)
- ⅔ cup semi sweet chocolate, melted over water bath
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- To Make Sandwich: Frosting of your choice or Marshmallow Fluff
- To Top Cookies: White Sparkling Crystals (purchased at many craft and baking stores)
- Special Equipment: Dessert Cake Pop Sticks (purchased at Michael’s, Target, or speciality baking section of your grocer).
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder together in a bowl.
- In a small bowl over a hot water bath, melt the semisweet chocolate. Set aside and cool.
- In an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Scrape down the bowl. Add in the chocolate and vanilla extract, mix again. Add the two eggs, one by one, scraping down the sides of the bowl to ensure it is completely mixed together.
- Add in the dry ingredients, bit by bit, until completely mixed together. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour or over night.
- When ready to bake, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured counter, roll out the dough until about ¼-inch thick. Cut into desired shapes. You may have to put more flour on top of the dough as you roll out. This will bake off.
- Put onto the lined cook sheet and bake for 10 minutes, until firm around the edges and puffed in the middle. Transfer to a wire rack, sprinkle with the sparkling sugar, and allow to cool.
- Take the frosting of your choice, we like marshmallow fluff or simple vanilla, and spread between two cookies.
- Keep refrigerated until 1 hour before serving.
Yum! Originally shared by The Local Moms Network