Apple season is upon us! Pick your own has already begun at most orchards and will continue through October.
It’s one of the fall activities we all look forward to every year! Just remember to check hours before heading out and to check on the harvest schedule… especially if there is a particular apple you’d like to pick. Have fun!
What to do with all of those apples? Check out this Apple Crumble recipe shared by Host to Perfection,a Local Moms Network contributor-HERE.
Clearview Orchards – U-pick
1051 Barry Rd, Haslett, 517- 655-1454
Open Tuesday-Friday 11a-6pm
Cottage Creek Orchard – opening soon
1073 Okemos Rd, Mason, 517-528-6866
Country Mill – U-pick
4648 Otto Rd, Charlotte 517-543-1019
Open Tuesday-Saturday 9am-6pm
Phillips Orchard and Cider Mill
1995 E Gratiot County Line Rd, St Johns 989-292-5252
Open everyday 9a-8pm thru Oct. 31st
Uncle John’s Cider Mill – U-pick
8614 N. US 27, St. Johns 989-224-3686
Open everyday 9a-7p
Wyrick’s Orchard – opens 9/22/21
5600 E Parks Rd, St. Johns
Heading Up North?
Apple Barrel Cider Mill
1418 E Center St, Ithaca 989-875-2775
Open Monday-Saturday 7:30-5pm
Know Before You Go
- Call ahead to check on conditions and the types of apples available for picking
- Don’t forget your masks
- Dress appropriately for the outdoors and for potentially changing weather conditions.
- If you want to bring your dog, check ahead of time. Some orchards do not allow pets.
- Don’t forget to bring your camera!
How to Pick an Apple
- Apples ripen from the outside of the tree towards the trunk. If you are unsure of ripeness, stick to apples that are furthest from the base.
- Ripe apples are firm and crisp to the touch.
- When you find an apple you like, lift the apple upwards and give it a little twist to release it from the tree. Don’t pull the fruit down or shake the branch.
- Don’t wash apples until right before using them to keep from spoiling.
- Keep apples cool after they’re picked to increase their shelf life.
Know of another local orchard? Send us an email at email@example.com and we will add!